I have now moved to a self-hosted blog from wordpress.com and want to share my experience with moving the site. The main difficulties were:
- Comparing hosting providers for WP blogs and identifying important features that should be included in the offer.
- Coming up with a domain name for the blog. I had to analyze the broad spectrum of topics represented on this blog and came up with Marketing to Convert as something conveying the essence and the purpose behind the articles.
- Finding suitable and GDPR-compatible plugins for analytics, cookies, etc.
- Finding how to re-implement the functionality of the previous blog (e.g. the WordPress following button is now implemented through the email subscription widget).
- Fine-tuning the theme and the layout (I stayed with the same theme as on allaroundmarketing.wordpress.com, however, this still looked different on a self-hosted blog). I chose this theme because of good color contrast and the overall sleek and stylish look, however, I am still not 100% satisfied with the font readability.
- Setting up additional functionality, such as social sharing buttons, etc.
- Selecting a suitable SEO-Plugin (I went with Yoast first, however, I did not like its functionality and selected Rank Math instead).
- Updating connected Social Media accounts, including my personal accounts.
There are still some tasks that remain open, such as changing the blog logo and further exploring the additional functionality now available. I am also still thinking about how to handle the existing (old) blog and make the transition as smooth as possible (e.g. checking for backlinks, handling subscriptions, etc.). There is also a lot of SEO optimization to be done both for the articles and for the blog as a whole. However, at this point, I am satisfied with the first results and motivated to work further on improving the visibility of the new website.